Pages

Sunday, January 2, 2011

An Air Nailer for All Places

Over the years, I’ve become a big fan of nail guns. My admiration for them has come out of the simple problem of not being able to nail things, especially furniture pieces and frames, the way I want to. Oh, I can drive a nail just fine; the problem is in getting the workpiece to hold still while I drive the nail. It doesn’t matter how I clamp the workpiece, it still seems to move as I’m driving my nails in. I don’t know how many times a beautiful piece of work has been ruined because the corners didn’t come together after I nailed them.

Okay, okay, I know, I’m supposed to be the expert; but you know, being an expert doesn’t make one perfect. Anyway, this is where my infatuation with nail guns came from, the desire to get the nail in, without having the pieces move. When I use an air nailer, I can be sure that my corners will stay the way they are supposed to.
I’ve always used pneumatic air nailers, because I haven’t liked the other options available. The electric air nailers I’ve tried never seem to have enough power to drive the brads all the way. On the other hand, cordless units have plenty of power, but you’ve got to buy the gas cartridges for them. I’m an old cheapskate; I don’t like having to buy something extra.

Well, somebody has finally come to my rescue and created a gas driven, cordless air nailer, that doesn’t require those expensive gas cartridges. Senco, the leader in air guns for many years has just recently come out with their “Fusion” gas driven, cordless nailer, in both 15 gauge and 18 gauge versions.

The unique thing about this nailer is that it doesn’t exhaust the gas, but reuses it. Let me explain. The gas cylinder, which is filled with non-reactive nitrogen, is a sealed unit. Just as with all other gas driven nailers, whether pneumatic or cordless, it is this compressed gas which drives the piston to drive the nail in. But, that’s where the similarity ends. Once the nail is driven, a gearmotor pushes the piston back into battery, compressing the gas once again and preparing for the next shot. The battery is a fast recharging Li-Ion battery, meaning that there is very little down time waiting for recharge. In fact, with two batteries, one should never have any downtime.

The innovation in this unit is the way that it uses the same gas over and over to drive the nails. This makes the unit truly self contained. There is no need for an air compressor or for gas cartridges. The only things that have to be provided are the nails, and battery recharges.

Great job Senco, this one looks like a real winner. I wouldn’t be looking to buy any stock in air compressors in the near future.

No comments:

Post a Comment